Tuesday, June 25, 2013

New Season - New Adventures

So it's been many months since my last post and I decided it's time to fire up the interwebs again.  I never posted a race report after Kona although I started to draft one up.  It really wasn't about the race or how I did (not great BTW - total melt down on the run).  It was all about the journey and documenting some points along the way.  I thought that maybe I'd be done with IM distance after making it to Kona but I really want to give it another go and make at least one more trip back to the big island.  last year my entire season was planned around IMNY and I never thought beyond that goal.  That left me in a not so great place when it turned out I had to keep training for another IM only 60 days out plus pay for a vacation.  I showed up in Kona prepared to make it to the finish line but nothing more.  I don't expect to ever be competitive there but I have some unfinished personal business with the course to take care of.  I just want to give it a good honest build-up and see what I'm capable of.  Then I think I'll be satisfied. But all of that is for another year - this season is much more relaxed.

I'm already at my mid-season break for 2013.  I raced Rev3 Williamsburg 1/2 this past weekend with mixed results - looks decent on the surface (12th OA and 4th AG) but I kind of crashed and burned on the back side of the run dropping 6-8 places and out of the top 5 overall amatuers.  Shit happens and I'm not really upset about it...plenty more races in my future.  I'm going to take a week or two easy and then shift gears a bit for some Oly distance races through the summer.  I've also just registered today for the Beach 2 Battleship 1/2 to cap off the season and maybe score a new PR if everything comes together.

Between now and then I'll try to post fairly regularly about whatever seems interesting.  I already have at least one topic from the race this past weekend that I need to document here where it can't get censored by others - details to come soon.

I'll end this post with a shout-out to two of the athletes I coach for both being rock stars this past weekend.  Julie Lestyan finished her first IM at CdA.  She absolutely crushed the swim in 57:xx (with "pedestrian effort" according to her) and had a very solid bike but then dealt with terrible stomach issues for 20+ miles of the marathon. She pushed through and finished under 14hrs.  Then there was Rosalyn Singer who was also racing Rev3 1/2.  Unfortunately we swam into a nasty strong current coming down the river from heavy rains - swim times were as much as 20min or more slow - and then had pretty bad heat and humidity along with a challenging run course.  Despite a slow swim she managed to PR both the bike and run as well as the race overall.


Julie Lestyan finishing IMCdA and Rosalyn Singer after Rev3 Williamsburg 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment